Founding CTO (Chief Technology Officer)
Join us as the founding Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of a Mark Two Ventures portfolio company startup looking to innovate in the insurance industry.
Modern technology will make the insurance industry significantly more efficient. Our product will be a step-function improvement in how the insurance industry operates.
This is your opportunity to join a startup as one of the first employees and play a critical role in the development and success of a new company. You will work closely with the CEO to advise on technical matters and be responsible for the overall technical execution of the company, including building its first release.
We are looking for a technical leader who has a deep computer science and software engineering background. You have spent time building and scaling software at product-focused companies and are 100% comfortable developing and launching a new product from scratch in a short time frame. You’re a highly motivated self-starter who is seen as the go-to technical leader by your peers.
You will have full autonomy and decision making authority to build a world-class product, including picking your tech stack, setting up infrastructure, selecting tooling, and serving as the technical architect while starting as the sole developer. As the CTO of a Mark Two Ventures portfolio company, you receive the benefit of our hands-on support including access to our playbooks and resources as well as on-going mentorship in your new role by experienced startup leaders. While you will have support in your decision making and guidance from our team, the ultimate success of the company will be largely dependent on your ability to rapidly respond to changing requirements and customer feedback to build and ship a viable product.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Coding and launching a product MVP
- Building and maintaining the technical infrastructure to support the business
- Developing and maintaining a technical roadmap for the company
- Building and leading a development team, including hiring and training new team members
- Collaborating with other teams, such as product and design, to ensure a seamless and integrated product experience
- Managing budgets and resources for the development team
- Staying up-to-date on the latest technologies and industry trends, and incorporating them as appropriate
This role will require someone who isn’t afraid to get into the trenches and build products, but who wants the opportunity to play a more strategic role as the company grows. This individual will have to have the mental agility to start as an individual contributor and grow into a senior leadership position. You should be eager to learn and grow in your career, and willing to put in the time and effort to make our company a success.
Some professional traits we’re looking for:
- Extreme ownership
- Pragmatic and efficient
- Outcomes over outputs
- Strategic thinking
- 10x developer
- A “get it done” mindset
This individual should have a strong background in software development and experience as a leader within agile development teams. Preferable experience includes:
- Previous experience building and maintaining SaaS products
- Experience building and launching high-quality products from idea to iteration
- Experience leading software development teams or squads
- Prior history of working with applications on multiple platforms, including web and mobile.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about building great products and is excited to be a part of a fast-paced, early-stage startup. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to join our growing community of entrepreneurial tech leaders.
Why Join an MKII Portfolio Company
Joining a startup as one of the first key hires can be incredibly exciting and rewarding. It’s an opportunity to build something new, from the ground up, while creating long-term value for your customers and significant personal wealth for yourself.
MKII is a venture studio that vets early-stage startups and selects the very best concepts (less than 2%) to launch as new ventures. We provide our founding teams with access to a large network of advisors and mentors as well as the resources and playbooks to help them build a successful company.
Working with MKII ensures you have:
- A team of experienced mentors and coaches to help you and your founding team build a new startup from the ground up
- Playbooks, templates, and other resources